Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Faces Of Portland

I'm sitting at the "Public Domain" Coffee place on Broadway and SW Alder.  Nice place, good coffee and no noise like there is in Peets or Starbucks. 8 months ago when I was living in Portland this place didn't exist. I hope they make it but by  the look of the sparse crowd, the competition and the high rent I would be surprised if they are in business in a year.

It's been raining everyday for the past week. Not the 1 hour Cuenca downpour, and then sun rain, but the entire day 2-4"kind of rain.  Major flooding south and west of Portland.  I spent the first 44 years of my life living in New York City so tall buildings are not strange to me.  My friend Bob noticed that during our walk in Portland I was looking at the tall buildings as if I never lived in a big city.  I also forgot how good a latte tastes. I have been overdosing on carmel and hazelnut lattes. I also forgot how many people smoke. Although smoking is prohibited in buildings my sweaters and jackets have smelled of smoke just walking past smokers on the street.

I had a great lunch with my friends Kevin and Pablo.  Thanks guys for indulging my need for Thai and Chinese food.  In the Chinese restaurant I asked the waitress " Bano"? I laughed - She didn't.  I'm typing on my new Macbook Air.  Muy Chevere! I'm not a Mac zealot but I can't see any reason for going back to Windows.

Our time with Blake our youngest grandson was wonderful.  It took him a little while to warm up to us.  8 months away is a significant part of his life  Skype is great but there's nothing like a grandson hug.

Tomorrow we fly to San Diego to see los otros dos nietos and hopefully no rain.





No comments:

Post a Comment